Andrea/Duck Dodgers here. I friendly welcome every fan of animation at my blog. The goal is to support the love and rediscovery of Classic Theatrical Cartoons from the Golden Age of Animation, keeping meanwhile an eye on Golden Age "Funny Animals" Comics as well as on modern animated productions! Every SUPPRESSED ethnic caricature to be sometimes presented here is just for HISTORICAL and EDUCATIONAL purpose and NOT to offend anyone. Stay Tooned and Enjoy the place !

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Sylvester's takes from " Scaredy Cat"

John K (he is my hero) asked me to post some screenshots showing assorted Sylvester's takes from Chuck Jones' 1948 "Scaredy Cat".
He also asked to post other great drawings from that cartoon, expecially the scenes involving Sylvester's attempt to explain to Porky that the house is "haunted" by evil mice.
Here you have them. Enjoy .













































Here you have another terrific sequence : the fight between Porky and Sylvster when the pussycat is going to shoot himself. Look at the crazy drawings!



























Yours Truly,

Duck Dodgers

Blog Founder and Administrator

7 Comments:

Blogger David Omar said...

These are awesome. I love how I can scan down the page with the computer mouse and animate the frames. Who knew a blog could be used as an animating tool?

7:36 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those stills are good, but they remided me of John's Jones bashing in the commentary of "Claws For Alarm". That was relly disresceptful. Do you know how happy I was of having this cartoon uncroped and uncut but got angery from John's limted aninmation and quirk? Also, John, stop bashing Sylvester's creator Freling. If he was a boring director, then how come he won 5 Acadamey Awards but you only have 0?
Sorry about ranting. Just need to get that thing of my chest.

9:34 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Also, John, stop bashing Sylvester's creator Freleng. If he was a boring director, then how come he won 5 Acadamey Awards but you only have 0?"
I do not think this make him a worst director,Tex and Clampett did not won a oscar as well.John K. sometimes is quite "passionate".I live Clampett works as much as he likes,but if I read one more sentense from him about Clampett's "qualities" I'll finish to be looking for problems in his cartoons.

11:07 am

 
Blogger C. A. M. Thompson said...

I don't recall John K. saying anything that offensive, just that the animation is more full in Scaredy Cat and that is the type of animation he prefers. A lot of the animation technique in Spumco cartoons is inspired by stuff Jones pioneered.

Also John K. never made a theatrical cartoon, so he wouldn't even be eligible! The academy awards work against stuff that's experimental anyway.

Anyway the comparison between the two cartoons is very interesting! I personally think since Jones was an extremely talented animator himself he was probably unhappy with a lot of the drawings his animators did, because they didn't look the way he'd envisioned them.

7:47 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are great! Thanks for posting. This is one of my favorite cartoons. I worked at WB Classics for a year, '95 -'96 and I printed out every character I could find with a gun pointed to their head and enlarged them to 8 x 10 and posted them around my cubicle. What characters that never did that, we drew and posted up. I just thought they were great. One day the producer walked in (Kathy Hellpie) and saw that and asked me if that's how I felt. I said "yeah, sometimes."

5:13 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work for the screenshots! It's still amazing to see the pictures frame by frame. That's a big difference! My fav. parts of this cartoon are the Sylvester's heart shocked. The shadding of the background is stunning and gorgeous and the frame scene that Sylvester commit a suicide was awesome. Great job!

1:25 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:25 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts | Older Posts | Home
 
Free Web Counter
hit Counter