Andrea/Duck Dodgers here. I friendly welcome every fan of animation at my blog. The goal is to support the love and rediscovery of Classic Theatrical Cartoons from the Golden Age of Animation, keeping meanwhile an eye on Golden Age "Funny Animals" Comics as well as on modern animated productions! Every SUPPRESSED ethnic caricature to be sometimes presented here is just for HISTORICAL and EDUCATIONAL purpose and NOT to offend anyone. Stay Tooned and Enjoy the place !

Thursday, July 03, 2008

My Pop, My Pop

While they were reaching their very personal pinnacle of perfection in animation, the Fleischers all of a sudden came out with "My Pop, My Pop".
Watching a few shots from it I suppose you'll share my thought that it seems like these drawings were made by non professional animators, fugitives from Van Beuren.
Please do rewatch it, if you have the possibility, and compare the animation to that of "Popeye meets William Tell" made just before it and that of "Poopdeck Pappy" made just after it.









See Youse,
Duck Dodgers

7 Comments:

Blogger Thad said...

I was struck by the amateurish looking animation of this cartoon as well. Neither Popeye nor Pappy look gritty, but pretty cherub-ish. Oh and the cartoon sucks too.

8:43 pm

 
Blogger J Lee said...

This was Arnold Gillespie's lone head animator credit on a Popeye cartoon, so someone else must have wondered what was going on as well.

The odd thing is this appeared to be the start of an effort to try and make Pappy into a regular supporting character, after his appearance 18 months earlier in "Goonland". Why they would do that with a first-time head animator is puzzling (OK, the next cartoon with Pappy was also directed by a first-time Popeye head animator in Bill Nolan, but he had almost 15 years of directing to his credit and turned out a much better cartoon).

2:49 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree...I was wondering how the ugliness of that cartoon got by...its horrible!!! I thought the drawings for "It's The Natural Thing To Do" were bad (especially after "Wotta Nitemare" afew cartoons earlier) but this one was the absolute worst!!! It looked like someone removed all the bones from there body and they got all swollen...yech!!! and the cartoon isn't that funny anyways...

4:24 am

 
Blogger Duck Dodgers said...

One gag killed me anyway. Poopdeck Pappy falls down and then , with a dope expression, plays on the saw his own tune.

2:35 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This was Arnold Gillespie's lone head animator credit on a Popeye cartoon..."

No, Gillespie is also credited as head animator on "Olive's Sweepstakes Ticket". (Though the characters aren't so off-model in that one.)

7:37 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I would like to see the next post, please. And this time, please make sure the charaters are better drawn. The drawings in "My Pop, My Pop" make me feel woozy.

Oh, and I also want the highlighted cartoon to be from a studio thats hasn't been covered much on this board. Thanks.

3:26 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just can't get enough of this Spinach Guy.

9:32 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts | Older Posts | Home
 
Free Web Counter
hit Counter