Andrea/Duck Dodgers here. I friendly welcome every fan of animation at my blog. The goal is to support the love and rediscovery of Classic Theatrical Cartoons from the Golden Age of Animation, keeping meanwhile an eye on Golden Age "Funny Animals" Comics as well as on modern animated productions! Every SUPPRESSED ethnic caricature to be sometimes presented here is just for HISTORICAL and EDUCATIONAL purpose and NOT to offend anyone. Stay Tooned and Enjoy the place !

Monday, June 19, 2006

"The Magic Pencil"

Got mixed feelings about this.
It is one of Terrytoons' best, but it is really as Maltin said in his marvellous "Of mice and Magic"?
What do you say?
I adore some of the inventive gags, but why they had to do another unnecessary villain-lady-hero triangle?
Let me know what do you guys think of it!

















































Yours,

Duck Dodgers

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You, Andrea! Yeah, I agree that this cartoon looks mainly a remake of the Van Buran Tom and Jerry cartoon (not suprising, since some of the Terrytoon staff used to work at Van Buran).

1:14 pm

 
Blogger Kevin W. Martinez said...

Hi Andrea,

'tis Levi. Once again, you have delivered some of the finest screenshots of a classic cartoon. I can definately see the parallels between this cartoon and that Van Buren Tom and Jerry cartoon, an interesting case of a cartoon from one studio inspiring a cartoon from another studio.

Hope to hear more from you soon.

-Leviathan

7:08 pm

 
Blogger Duck Dodgers said...

Thanks!
Talk of this blog with anyone that can be interested!

7:18 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have another favor to ask you, if it isn't to much trouble. If you have one of the best of Terrytoons, Flebus, could you please post some picture from the film? It's on my cartoons yet to see list.

8:38 pm

 
Blogger Duck Dodgers said...

I got it. and I have mixed feelings on it too.
It is a pretty good short, but I don't know if it can be classified as a masterpiece.
What is very funny is the musical socre as well as the sound effects that can be heard troughout the cartoon.
The short is made in UPA-like style.

Gimme some week and I'll post screenshots. I have to look for a copy of it in my titanic library.

6:57 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, again. I am really intrested in these Terrytoons and hope to write a book about them someday.

1:35 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm dandu off of GAC forums, anyway, as well as being a remake of Pencil Mania with Tom and Jerry, the last scene made me think of "Makin''Em Move" with the fables animals.

3:12 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts | Older Posts | Home
 
Free Web Counter
hit Counter