Andrea/Duck Dodgers here. I friendly welcome every fan of animation at my blog. The goal is to support the love and rediscovery of Classic Theatrical Cartoons from the Golden Age of Animation, keeping meanwhile an eye on Golden Age "Funny Animals" Comics as well as on modern animated productions! Every SUPPRESSED ethnic caricature to be sometimes presented here is just for HISTORICAL and EDUCATIONAL purpose and NOT to offend anyone. Stay Tooned and Enjoy the place !

Saturday, February 09, 2008

A Shorty Short

Once in a while I'll post some cartoons online, that's the trend nowadays and it's also the best way to share what a collector owns (some of us are not cartoon hoarders, you know).
I start with this Famous Studios Popeye cartoon, "The Marry-Go-Round", with original titles, starring our favorite sailor, Shorty and "a very sexy" Olive Oyl.
Enjoy!




This beauty, as well as the other 40s Popeye shorts in Technicolor, should have to be available restored on DVD at the end of this year or in 2009 (it's scheduled for the third volume). That set is something I really can't wait for. They have access to the original prints (as far as I know all the prints of Famous' Popeye Technicolor shorts survive intact and no digital recreation will be used) so it will be extraordinary to finally see all them shorts as originally shown and not with the AAP titles (my only doubt is if a complete copy of "Popeye and the Pirates" will be found...)

So long,
Duck Dodgers

P.S.: Thanks to Thad for technical help

8 Comments:

Blogger Kevin W. Martinez said...

Apparently they'll have to digitially recreate the soundtracks though.

6:55 pm

 
Blogger Duck Dodgers said...

Huh?

As said, Kevin, the original titles (obviously including soundtrack) of the Technicolor Popeye all survive.

7:16 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks For Posting This One. but I whish I could see a fully restored version of Were On Our Way To Rio Do You Think You can Post it?

12:44 am

 
Blogger Kevin W. Martinez said...

Andrea,

what I said was based on comments made by bozo (the guy behind Cartoon Network's the Popeye Show). He was apparently granted access to the surviving soundtrack elements to the color Popeyes in Warner's vaults when making the show and apparently some soundtrack elements don't exist anymore.

Some of Thad's comments on GAC seem to back this up

2:37 am

 
Blogger Duck Dodgers said...

Thanks for the info, Kevin.
Never heard of that.

I had infos from another source last year and he told me that while the situation of the b/w is a "hit or miss" (meaning that some prints survive uncut while the majority survive only as AAP titles and had to be recreated), all's perfect with the Technicolor shorts.
Guess we just gotta wait and see.

8:51 am

 
Blogger Duck Dodgers said...

yosemite(get it),
luckily I own it....but I can't post too much of the Popeyes, don't you think?
It'll be one of the reason to wait for the third volume of the series

3:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, I hate these Famous Cartoons versions of Popeye. They bastardized the characters, and are as far from Elzie Segar's original versions as it is possible to get. Feh!

4:12 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a huge Popeye fan, and The Marry-Go Round is one of my favorites. I own all 3 volumes of the Classic Popeye DVDs, but this cartoon is not included in any of them. Is there a current DVD that includes this cartoon that I can purchase, or do I have to wait until whomever decides to release it in the future? Thanks, in advance, for any info. RC

11:35 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts | Older Posts | Home
 
Free Web Counter
hit Counter